Military & Overseas Citizens

If you are a Massachusetts citizen, you have the right to vote in all elections, even if you are deployed, stationed outside the Commonwealth, or residing overseas.

Military voters, dependent family members of military voters, and overseas citizens are protected by the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA), a federal law which guarantees your voting rights.

If you are a military or overseas voter, you are exempt from voter registration requirements in Massachusetts. In order to get your ballot, you simply need to submit an absentee ballot application.

Military Voters

If you are a member of the United States military on active duty, or if you are the dependent family member of active duty personnel, you qualify to vote as a UOCAVA military voter.

Military voters who are stationed in Massachusetts have the option of registering to vote where they are stationed. Military voters who resided in Massachusetts before being called to active duty have the right to continue to vote from their Massachusetts address, as long as they do not register or vote elsewhere.

Eligible military voters include those on active duty in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard (including reservists), as well as members of the merchant marine.

Overseas Citizens

United States citizens who reside outside the United States may vote from their last residence in the country. Complete an application online.

If you are a United States citizen who has never resided in the country, your address for voting purposes would be your qualifying parent's last address in the country. This address may differ from the address you use for other purposes.

Your local election official may ask for additional or supporting information to locate a record of your previous residence in their city or town. Secretary of the Commonwealth has additional information.